Thursday 24 July 2014

Lovesong: Bruce Springsteen: Hunter of the Invisible Game

I remember during that 3 year gap between 1975's 'Born to Run' and the release in 1978 of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' that a few high profile Directors were courting Bruce. He was going to be the new Pacino. Thank God that he resisted. Bowie and Sting proved that it's best to stick at what you're best at… the public are pretty unforgiving when it comes to mediocrity.
See also Eric Cantona...
But this short film/promo for 'Hunter of the Invisible Game' is excellent; it shows Bruce in the unflinching light of character actor.
No 'vanity project' this.
Bruce looks knackered!
The best song on 'High Hopes' (by a mile) now has some haunting visuals.
I'm not sure what it's all about but it sure is beguiling...



3 comments:

  1. As much as I don't care for the rest of the album - "Hunter" is a ringer. I'd dare to say it's his best song since, what do you think? I'll say, um..... "My City Of Ruins"???

    Bruce spoke to Rolling Stone about the evolution of the song: "I wrote the title down (in the infamous notebook) and it sat there for years. Then I did a lot more reading. And I started to get into this post-apocalyptic survivor idea. The idea of these travellers in the wasteland, and what's this guy trying to do? He's trying to hold on to their humanness, their humanity in all of this ruin. That was the idea. That's who this guy is, the guy who is hunting out remnants of what makes the spirit."

    The video kinda reflects that concept. Reminded me immediately of 'The Road'. C'mon now TJ, there's a wee bit of vanity in the gratuitous shots of Bruce's 64 year-old six-pack abs. Hell, I'm just jealous... And yeah, he does a good job "acting" knackered, but nothing compared to how he actually looked in the documentary DVD's of recording BTR & Darkness. Gaunt and utterly exhausted... Again... again... again... Six months recording one song. I don't know how or why the guys stuck with him. Actually, I guess Sancious & Boom Boom did leave early...

    Interesting video. I like it...

    "Strength is vanity, and time is illusion..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I thought of 'The Road' too TT. And, yup, got to admire to physic on Bruce. I wouldn't be kicking sand in his face…
    Where is the 'strength is vanity…' quote from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quote is first line of 5th verse of the song (Hunter)... Caught my ear right off. The entire lyric is excellent. Bruce is a wise fellow methinks.

    TT

    ReplyDelete