Tuesday 22 May 2012

Lovesong: Rachel Sermanni: Eggshells

I don't know an awful lot about Sermanni other than that she's 19 and has just toured in support of Mumford and Sons. Her influences sound pretty standard; Bob Dylan and her dad. (I wonder who inspired Jacob Dylan..?)
“My dad taught me the penny whistle when I was younger. He taught me to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. We went to church as well and I think we were all musical naturally. We did listen to a lot of music – things like Eva Cassidy, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan.”
The inevitable Laura Marling comparisons are rife; I think that she's more mainstream than that (Mary Hopkins anyone?) but this song in undeniably lovely.
Does anyone else think that she's a dead spit of the gal from the Scottish Widows ad?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    She reminds me more of Anna Friel.
    Another limited colour spectrum, which I love.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like it a lot!
    Similar vein... Have you heard this pretty tune by O'Hooley and Tidow?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92a0s0Ry_hY

    ReplyDelete